Another area at the back at the aft zinc (there's only 2 on this engine), there's some oil there. I believe this is from the failed valve cover gasket that I had fixed before. That zinc cap won't budge either. I have PB Blaster I can use to see if that will help.
Water had previously leaked from the engine panel down to the top/front of the engine. That shouldn't be too bad, but will still need some cleaning up. The thermostat cover seems to have had a leak before too, and I'm looking to replace that and the mounting bolts/gaskets and maybe the thermostat itself. Another Nor'sea owner suggested I remove the injectors just so that I can. Otherwise, doing it later can be a pain. But, if I'm not able to, it may have to be removed at a shop anyway. Other hoses, pipes, gaskets, and bolts will be replaced as well. I have a parts catalog and shop manual on hand on the computer and will be going over them to get a list together.
Just the engine itself is plenty of work. But the main reason I pulled it out in the first place, was to replace the fuel tank, which has just begun.
|current state in the cabin|
|exhaust elbow, below is one engine zinc|
|the other engine zinc|
|surface rust hasn't been there long|
|the rust line coming from the exhaust mixer above|
|fuel pump to the left, side zinc in the center|
|exhaust mixer mounting|
|thermostat cover again, to be replaced w/bolts|
|inside of exhaust mixer|
Not much, but it's a start to removing the fuel tank. Doesn't look to me like fiberglass was used, just resin holding the tank. Some parts was maybe 1/8" thick and the aft area was closer to 1/4" or slightly more. Using an oscillating cutting tool, a screw driver, and a 3lb sledge hammer, it's coming out well enough. Then, the foam underneath will be torn out as well.