Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Paint idea

I received the trailer tires. I am going to have a busy weekend switching them out with the ones on the trailer.

I was thinking of an idea that I thought about before. Much of the storage spaces are painted a yellow color. I have been thinking that after Rhapsody is in the water, one of my projects would be to repaint the storage compartments to white. Although the spaces are not seen while everything is closed up but I was thinking it could be good to make everything a little brighter. I was thinking of using white Bilgekote or something else. I've read elsewhere that the main hardware stores carry one part polyurethane that could work on boats just as well as "marine brand" or other places might have an epoxy based paint that might work. I will have to look into what else is out there, no hurry on this.

The spaces I am considering painting is, the sail locker, under and behind the forward seating spaces, under the floor boards, the galley cabinets and the space the batteries are stored. This is just an idea I have and may not get to it for quite a while, if I do it at all, but I thought it would look better than the yellow.

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Maybe even painting the seats themselves would brighten things up. Of course, the cusions will be covering everything anyway so, still, not a priority.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Trailer Tires

Short post today.

Yesterday I ordered some tires for the trailer my boat sits on. The current tires are either a low load rating, mixed brands or not holding together very well. I have two rims for spares and the tires on them now are pretty much shredded. I got an email today that they're already on their way here and expect to get them on Oct 30th. Once they arrive, I'll work on getting them on the rims and switching them all out on the boat. This way, I'll know exactly when I put them on the boat and they are all the same size/brand. The tires I ordered are Goodyear Marathon size ST225/75R15 with Load Rating D (2540 lbs per tires).

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Clean up day

Today was a busy day.
I went to Rhapsody and did some cleaning up. Overall, I spent 4 hours at the boat.
I bought a 1000 watt inverter that I connected to the truck battery. I also bought a small 1.5 gallon shop-vac. Together, I cleaned up the inside of the boat.

Here's another video cleaning up other areas on the boat.

I decided to take a video of what it was like for someone my size of 6'5" tall to lay down in a quarterberth of a Nor'sea.

Afterwards, I came back to the house and started some work on putting some varnish on another piece of the port handrail. It's a first coat but it still looks pretty good to me. Hopefully, someday, I can get all the exerior wood to look as nice.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

More Handrail

It's been quite some time since I've been able to do any work on Rhapsody. This weekend has been very busy doing work around the house. I've been cleaning stuff up and throwing stuff I don't need out.

Today, I made time to clean up the handrails I brought back to the house. I pulled out an electric sander to help a little. Below is a picture of what the old varnish looked like, a bare piece and a piece with a couple coats of varnish. The piece in the middle I did some hand sanding and used the electric sander a little on a couple difficult spots that had turned grey. I'd say it's ready for the first coat or two of varnish. I started, but not finished removing old varnish from the other handrail. It's still going to take some time but it's well on it's way.

So far, I think things are looking pretty good. Once I get these rails back on the boat, I can get a survey and insurance and then a trip to the marina.