Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Every Little Bit Helps

Things have been busy. Since reworking a little bit of the wiring for the house bank, I'm looking beyond it to the wiring the feeds into the rest of the boat systems. Some wires cross in front of the engine space, so I want to get those ones moved out of the way. I also looked into where the main wires go from the battery connections and found a single point of connection for the battery banks and what looks like a few other things. Looking to change that as well where I could label what each of the wires are for and use a bit larger bus bar to organize everything.

Positive connection

Negative connection
I'm also working on splicing lines that will be used as new halyards. It's a learning process. In this first picture below, I made the splice at the top while following a video and while it was a pain for part of it, I was told it wasn't the "right kind" of splice. Taking the recommendation to do a "Class II Double Braid" splice, following along to a video, I then did the bottom splice. Still in need of a lock stitch and wrapping the exposed cover. Both, I think, will still hold well. At least I'm getting some practice if/when I ever need to redo this.

The next picture below, is some Amsteel Blue that I made a Brummel eye splice on one end. Just the process of making that one locks it so it doesn't come undone. I'm expecting it to be used in the outhaul setup and will see how that works when the mast/boom goes back together.

The shop working on my mast also modified my mast step. Before the wires were coming up to the deck and all connections were made there. The shop owner said connections should be made below, out of weather exposure. So, they attached a short tube where the wires would pass through, down the compression post and exit below the cabin floor.

In an attempt to clean things up, this past weekend was spent cleaning up around the boat and putting things away that I didn't need at the moment. I also retightened the nuts for the chainplate bolts, reinstalled the insulation material I had up and started screwing in the boards along the side of the hull. I know the insulation will work well in the summer, but wondering if it'll help heat up the inside of the boat as well in winter.

While many people have their boats hauled out and any projects slow down, I'll still work through and do what I can along the way. Still a lot of work ahead of me and if I expect to launch next season, I need to keep at it. Still working on a lot of things so hopefully I can make some progress and be able to post here soon.


  1. How ironic, splicing lines. I too got engaged in some double braid splicing after needing to extend my genoa leads which I had cut too short--my fault, argh....

    The mast step looks brilliant. Wow.

    I too am in a quest to put in some insulation along my hull sides in the forepeak and in the salon where I currently have lovely 1970s pegboard LOL. Am thinking of cedar strips because of their aroma aboard? Hmm? Wonder....

    I admire your expertise on electricals. I have to have people come check behind my work yet. I am not a wire person despite tracing things from start to finish I simply cannot seem to get it right 60 percent of the time!

    Well at least I no longer have my hidden leak, that too discovered by my mechanic. What an adventure.

    1. Thanks, Bill, for your kind words.

      I find electrical somewhat easy to do. In order to improve on what I have already done, or rather will do in the future, I bought a couple better quality crimpers for future electrical work. I've had a couple friends jokingly ask if I could rewire their boats. Who knows, maybe that could be my career change when I retire from the military.

      Splicing is a good skill to have around the boat. There's still plenty I'd like to learn.

      Good job tracing down the leak.

      Take Care Bill.

  2. Things are looking good Dan! You've reminded me I need to work on the electrical stuff on my boat. I have a few lights (on the mast, of course) that don't work. I'm hoping it's just bad bulbs or rusting connections, but I'm afraid I'll have to rewire the entire mast.

    That, and the splicing skill is good stuff to know.


    1. Thanks Mike.
      I'm having to redo the wiring on my mast too. Getting some work on it done right now. Get to see how it looks this weekend. Should post an update on the mast soon. Electrical work isn't too hard. Just a matter of getting the right terminals, tools and looking up the proper wire sizes for the current you'll be pulling, accounting for voltage drop. Ok, that might sound like a lot, but it's really not too bad, I swear. haha

      You're right, splicing is a good skill to know for a sailor.
      Good luck with your work. ;-)