It's not easy to see in this picture, but this is the broken piece on the furling line. I'll try updated with a better picture later. The line will have to be cut off to get it out of the furling track. Then I'll have to figure out how it's all set up.
I haven't seen this connector before. I had to look it up. It was housed in a hole in the mast. I found out this is for a baby stay/inner forestay. Makes me wonder if it's really necessary for a boat this size. I'm thinking of leaving it off the mast when I re-rig the boat.
Here are some other pictures around the mast I took while at the boat today.
Other end of roller furling and masthead
Forstay/roller furling connection
This almost looks like an antenna connection but no wire going to it and there is an antenna connection located elsewhere on the masthead.
Lower mast area. Halyard winches. boom connection.
These two cleat looking things were only on the two full length shrouds. Don't think I'll use or replace them when I redo the lines. All the shrouds had the white plastic covers that I don't plan to redo as part of the rerig.
Cables could probably use a cleaning.
As I took each of the standing rigging off, I used some tape and numbered each one, putting a piece on the wire itself and on the mast.
Here, I have 9 pieces of wire coiled to take home where I'll do the rigging when it's time.
In all, I have 2 backstays, 2 full shrouds, 4 half shrouds and the one with the odd looking connector that goes into the mast. I'm still trying to figure out what that one is. I thought it was a boom lift but it's on the front side of the mast and is also smaller diameter than the rest. The last line is for the rolling furling which I left where it's at on the mast, that would be number 10.
Now that I have all these lines in one place, I can put together a shopping list and see how much the damage ($$) will be. At the moment, I plan on using Sta-Lok fittings.
In the meantime, I'm still scraping the old varnish off the exterior wood.