Monday, October 10, 2016

Additional Damage Found

Took the torn tarps down for replacement and found additional damage. The stern rail is bent and part of the toe rail was broken off.

This damage also caused a twist in the stern rail.

I used pieces of the old tarp to cover the corners of the wood frame. I hope it doesn't cause the new tarp to wear out too quickly.

Lowering the vane from the boat wasn't too difficult. A few pieces were wedged together but mainly had to unbolt a few places. I recently made some soft shackles and put them to use with my main sheet setup. I kept tension on everything to keep it all from falling down as I unbolted everything then when ready, lowered the main body of the unit to the ground.

Along with making soft shackles, I made my first eye splice. This will be used on the boom when the mast system is reassembled. Not the prettiest splice but it'll work well. I'll hide the exposed core with whipping twine.

Here's the update to the mast. Sanded down and just need a little bit out of the tracks then it can be sent off to a shop for painting.