Sunday, June 23, 2013

Additional Setup

I went to the boat again today to check things out. I went on the boat to take a look. I was able to get on the boat from stepping over on the bowsprit. Grabbing the forestay, first thing I noticed was how loose it felt. It didn't feel loose from the furler track over it, just felt like there was a lot of slack in it. I'm new to this so I'm not sure. The shrouds were all tight. There are two full backstays. One felt more loose than the other. I could have moved the boat to the slip, but didn't want to just to make sure the yard didn't have to do anything else.

First thing I did was to setup the radar mast. I had most of the hardware needed and only had to get three nuts from the local chandlery. I also tested out the radar and seemed to work ok.

There were a bunch of lines attached to the mast. I unwound them to sort out what they all were. The lines going up the mast were the main halyard, jib halyard, and two lines that looked like one was for hank-on sails and another possibly for a topping lift but seemed just short of reaching the end of the boom. Two lines were on the wrong side of the spreaders so I had to throw a line just above the spreaders to pull them back over. It took many tries to throw the line and I'm sure anyone watching could have had a good laugh.

The line I used was from the roller furling.

The lines were cleaned up and organized better than before.

One of the lines I had to pull over looked to belong to the jib halyard. There was no shackle on the end and I tied it to the bow.

I then took the main halyard and used it as a topping lift for the boom. This helped me lift it to attach the gooseneck and boom vang to the mast.

The boom is now attached to the mast, ready for the main sail.

When I showed up at the boat, I connected the batteries for listening to some music. I also tested the motor too. Oddly, the motor seems to shake more than it did before, even when increasing the speed. I left one of the batteries connected with the bilge pump set on auto. I noticed the door to the head is easier to open and close. It is a bit odd (in a good way) to walk around the boat and feel the motion of being on the water. I guess I'm still a little used to being on the trailer but I'll get used to the water sure enough. ;-)

The last view before leaving for the day.

I'm planning to call tomorrow to see what else they're planning on doing. Personally, I think the standing rigging could be tightened. If they can do that during the day, then, I'll be able to move the boat to its slip.


  1. More than likely sense the rig was just stepped it is going to need to be tuned. There is a good how to sticky on Sailnet under gear and maintenance if the yard doesn't take care of it for you. Also when a boat is launched it changes shape quite a bit from when its on the hard. That may be why the engine is shaking more and why the head door opens easier.. Its always a good idea to check the engine alignment when it goes back in the water.

    1. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the thread on Sailnet. I read on the owners group that someone had a sticking door on their boat too and someone else said things settle once in the water and loosen up again. That seems to be what happened. I've been given a name by a couple different people of someone who is supposed to be good working on engines. I may give him a call and see what he says.