Recent activity include removing the stern rail and the wood that was damaged from the tree that fell on it during Hurricane Matthew. Still haven't had it fixed yet. I took off the pieces, cleaned up the goop that was used for bedding, some of which was still soft, and got it ready for repair. I emailed a shop nearby about getting it fixed a couple weeks ago but no response. I'd visit the shop, but they're only open during the week and I'm only able to visit the boat on the weekend.
|bent leg on the rail (left side in picture) needs straightened|
|Weird seeing the stern without the rail.|
|this is showing the hull/deck joint.|
|Really need to do something about those wires going through the deck.|
I'm thinking a cable pass through like a Blue Sea CableClam would be useful. Since the stern has the rudder/tiller and a cleat, I think a good location for a pass-through would be just below the hull/deck joint. Will have to take a closer look as things continue to come together.
|brown bedding material was still soft and pliable.|
|the metal fitting was removed from both sides for easier removal of the wood. Will get cleaned up too.|
|Transmission now mounted|
|Just thought this was a nice view when coming out of the quarterberth|
While I have been installing new through-hulls and seacocks, I thought to show the process I was using to install the third one for the cockpit drains. I used this process before with the raw water seacock using the How-To website by a user who goes by Maine Sail on sailing websites. For the raw water seacock, I used Sikaflex 291 for the bedding compound. This time, I used 4200 as I had a small tube on hand that needed used before it dried out.
|sanded the area the old seacock was placed, cleaned with acetone|
|added thickened epoxy|
|added the entire assembly and waited for the epoxy to cure|
|through-hull held in with the boat hook. through hull was also waxed before setting up for easier removal|
|4200 for bedding|
As I was trying to put hoses on the barbs, a couple of the seacocks worked loose already. The pipe tape I used didn't seem enough. I took a suggestion from someone to use a sealant. I then disassembled the valve and hose barb on the installed seacocks, coated the threads with 4200 then reassembled. Don't think they're going anywhere this time.
At this time, I only need to install one more seacock. There's a small shelf next to the hole the old water-lift muffler sat so I may need to make a modified backing plate for it.
|Shelf where old water muffler sat.|
I've also removed the rudder, but I'll talk about that next time. I have some things to look into first.