Sunday, May 3, 2015

Bottom Paint Removal

This is yesterday's work. I didn't have time to post but here's what I did. Also realized this is post #100 for this blog.

The last post, I mentioned how it looked like someone had hit the trailer, bending the fender. Well, it looks like it was hit again. Now it's starting to piss me off.

compare this with last fender pic I posted
Still, it doesn't look like it'll affect the use of the trailer.

I arrived around 930am, and went right to work. I have been waiting for good weather to start taking off the bottom paint. Got some protective gear to do the work and very thankful that I had it all too.

I put down some plastic to catch the chips of bottom paint.

I used a durable paint scraper to get the majority of the paint off. Still have a lot of work left to do but it's getting there.

starboard side

starboard side

old repairs on port side near the rudder

port side: repairs needed

more needed repairs

Looking down port side

still have upper parts to remove

rudder will need some work too.
As you can see from the pictures, I'm discovering that there are lots of old repairs and areas in need of repairs. The parts in need of repairs are not really any bigger than a dime. Still, they'll need to be ground out, filled with epoxy and some fairing work needed. For the most part, it looks like the bottom paint was applied over the gelcoat. It doesn't look like bare glass. But the blue was applied over a red paint. Primer maybe? It alternated back and forth so maybe it was just a contrasting color to check coverage. The plan is to get the bottom faired smooth and then I'll use a few coats of barrier coat, like Interlux 2000E.

It's a good thing I got the coveralls. That bottom paint dust gets everywhere. Unfortunately, as soon as I sat down, the paints rode up a bit. I'm 6'5" so not really made for my size. Not only that, the hood didn't stay on my head either so I had a blue neck too. At least the face mask kept anything from flying into my eyes or breathing it in. Very important there too. I used foot covers so that is why my socks look (but not) clean here.

coverall pants rode up a bit
The LED lighting I installed in the head went well but the wires were dangling around so I got some clips that I installed to hold them up and out of the way. There's two clips shown in the pic but two more behind the bulkhead keeping the other wires out of sight.

organized wires
Lastly, I got a couple mounts to hold the hose for the Airhead along with 1" Velcro. The mounts I got is called a Footmans Loop that I bought from Sailrite.

The hose is held nicely in place. I still need to connect the hose to the head itself then it could be useable. I still think this head project turned out well.

Still some bottom paint need to be removed. it wasn't easy crawling around the trailer and working around the keel/mast. The roller are in the way too but I'm still doing what I can.


  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Trying to get her looking better each time.

  2. Dan, I've been crawling around, under and over, my trailer for a month just doing the same sort of prep work. I'm pretty worn out from the process. But have begun the painting process and am almost complete. I used Epifanes products on Baggy Wrinkles, one part mono-urethane. But my vessel will be dry sailed in fresh water. You're headed to VA as I recall, to a slip or trailer? I empathize with your bottom work and the enormous amount of effort it requires.

    1. It's been a while since I saw your blog so I found it a funny coincidence that you're working on your bottom paint too. Right now, I'm looking at just removing the old paint before I get to VA where I'll continue the refit. I expect the next bottom paint to be applied right before the boat goes in the water, whenever that may be. It really is an effort. Worked on it some more today but the temps got up to 85 and had to stop. My body will feel it for a while from all the odd angles climbing around that trailer.

      Your boat is looking good too.

  3. It looks good Dan. Will you put the boat on stands to get the parts where the rollers are blocking you? She is definitely looking good though.

    How often should boats that are in saltwater year round be painted? Is there a norm?

    1. David, I would have to put the boat on stands or get a jack to lift the boat enough to get under the rollers. Right now is just paint removal. The next bottom paint will likely be before the boat goes in the water next time so no hurry to recoat at this time. Plus, seeing all the old repairs and pits in need of repairs, it'll take a little time to fix, fill, fair, etc.
      For year round boats, in salt water, not sure. I've heard depending on how the bottom is taken care of while it's in the water, some paints can last 3-5 years. Probably a good idea to wipe any growth off the bottom or hire a diver to do it for you.

  4. Dan, That sucks about the trailer damage. I bet if you look around the yard you might find the guy with the complimentary damage. I like your blue cuffs, though.

    I have an idea for you on the LED lighting. I bought 8 of LED light fixtures, and have been using them in the roof as well as in the valence areas (under the side decks) where they're especially useful. (That's another place where you might consider using the LED strip lights because they won't really show. I really don't like the look of that strip stuff against the ceiling material. looks too much like a disco, but to each his own!) Here's the link to the fixtures. They are ultra inexpensive. They cost $14-16 dollars depending on whether you buy a 1, 3 or 6 pack. I have used four so far and have spots picked out for four more.