Sunday, November 4, 2012

Varnish Work Continues

I did a little bit of varnish work today on all the handrails today. On the handrail that I used a teak cleaner on came out nice. This first picture is after one coat of varnish.
 


On the other pieces that I already had a coat of varnish, I sanded them down a bit to smooth out the finish.


I then varnished the other pieces too. This picture below, I have one of the piece I had varnished before with the one I used a teak cleaner on. The one I used the cleaner on, did come out a little brighter then the one behind it. They still look pretty nice with fresh varnish. I think altogether, I have 2-3 coats on. The next couple coats will have less mineral spirits and more varnish as I work towards straight varnish for the finishing coats.


3 comments:

  1. Looks great!! I wish all of our boat was removable so I could easily varnish all the wood, lol. Instead i'll just oil it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have lit a fire under me since I have had our handrails off for oh...almost 2 years now. It looks really great and man I need to step it up a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I've been working on doing these since June or July and I thought I was taking a long time :)

      I'm happy things are turning out nicely. I've seen arguments on boat forums against using varnish or complaints of how much work it takes but I have to say, I really like the look of varnished wood. I'm hoping I'll have a good base to start with so it will be easier for me maintain it in the future.

      Delete